Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

GBC_V14 Emulator Wizard fails. No valid emulator definitions

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

GL5

GBC_V14 Emulator Wizard fails. No valid emulator definitions

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:20 am

Just wondering why the wizard is failing. First runs results in "No valid emulator definitions could be found in the DAT file!". This is the only message. It does not load, so i am not asked for the emulator folder location.

I'm running windows 10x64. I have uninstalled, reinstalled,changed default install locations, changed compatibility settings to no avail and that is as far as my skillls go. I even went back to GBC_V13 and I get the same error.

It runs fine on some other PC installs i have done with W10x64 so I cant understand why it is not worjing on this particular laptop (which is the one I use). IS there some other software requuirement for the wizard to work?

I can copy the emulator settings over from a working setup but if anybody could suggest why the wizard is not working in this instance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
GL5

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:23 am

I also get this file missing on verifying. Is this how it should be?

Pictures not found: 1/24275
C:\Retro Computing\GameBase\GBC_v14\Screenshots\

I\Inb?rdeskrig_-_War_in_USA.png 22225 Inb?rdeskrig - War in USA
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:36 am

Sounds like the gemus.dat file may either be empty or corrupt. I would try replacing it from one of your other installs. It is just a text file if you want to take a look at it.

The missing file is question should be listed as Inbördeskrig_-_War_in_USA.png
For some reason the umlaut isn't showing correctly. You could maybe trying relinking it by right clicking the game in the games list & selecting screenshots (or CTRL P). Then select the appropriate file without the number.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
GL5

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:29 am

Thanks

I just upgraded V13 to V14 no problems on my desktop and all files verified. That PC has Australia as Location and Unicode where as my Laptop which fails has Unicode and Location set to Chinese as this is the PC i use for study.

The funny thing is the Laptop finds the verifies the second game file "Inbördeskrig_-_War_in_USA_1.png" no problems. However I just checked the front end and neither of the screenshots are displayed for that game.

I had also noticed that the GB Front End displays all game names that contain a character with an umlaut are displayed as ?. If I try and search for other screenshots with ö in them they are not found. Windows search just looks for "o" :(

Anyone know why my Unicode settings would prevent the Emlator Wizard from running?

I did copy all the files across from working GB but the emulator wizard still fails.
GL5

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:53 am

Copying the emulator file doesn't work.

I get "Unable to run the Emulator at this time: Input past end of file" for CCS64 and WinVICE. Hox64 works.

I am unable to add the emulators manualy with the provided scripts (except Hox64 and CCS64-old). I get the error "Unable to load a GEMUS Script. (0,0)
GL5

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:17 am

Everything works as it should once the language for non-Unicode programs is changed to English.

Any tips on what modifications to make to get GB to work with a PC set to Chinese :P
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:54 pm

I know Gamebase is very fussy when there are German characters in ZIP files.
So i guess Chinese is not going to work.

as long as the install folders and files are English A-Z, it should work.
INSTALL on ROOT DIR
c:\GAMEBASE\

the GEMUS.DAT is not needed to get GameBase to work.
but it should look like this.

when run through the Wizard it will create the emulators.ini

Code: Select all

[Emulators]
1=CCS64
2=

[CCS64]
UseShortFilenames=1
SupportedTypes=D64;G64;G41;T64;P00;TAP;PRG;CRT;C64
EmulatorPathFile=C:\GameBase\GBC_v14\Emulators\CCS64 V3.9.1 Offical\CCS64.exe
ScriptFile=CCS64.txt
1=C:\GameBase\GBC_v14\Emulators\CCS64 V3.9.1 Offical\c64.cfg
UseDefaultTypes=0
WaitFinish=1
2=
using that example you could create your own, changing paths for emulator and config file.

The source code is available to download, if you know how to make a Chinese version.

Return to “GB64 Help!”