Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

New GameBase install = totally borked

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

sfsdfd
Keen Member
Keen Member

New GameBase install = totally borked

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 am

I decided to take the release of GB11 as an opportunity to install it from scratch in a virtual machine (Win8.1 running inside Parallels).

The install went OK. Had to do an excessive amount of fiddling to get files in the right places, and I really don't understand the purpose of having to run the GameBase Toolbox just to create a "new GameBase" (why doesn't the installer do this?!), but eventually I was able to get GameBase.exe to run...

...and then I ran into two problems that have me totally stumped.

First: I moved everything in the Games folder into C:\C64\Games. That folder now contains "0", "a1", etc., and the subfolders are loaded with a complete set of zipped games. Same thing with C:\C64\Music, C:\C64\Photos, C:\C64\Pictures, C:\C64\Extras, and C:\C64\SCreenshots. I also set those paths to those folders in "Set 'C64 Paths'". However, GameBase doesn't see anything. My entire GameBase interface is completely

Second: GEMUS / Emulator Setup Wizard produces the message:

"The Wizard could not find GEMUS.DAT in your GameBase folder!"

Sure enough, it's not there. GEMUS.DLL is there, but no GEMUS.DAT. I reinstalled GameBase from scratch - still not there. Can't find it anywhere on the GameBase site.

I Googled GEMUS.DAT, and found some references to bu22.com. I went to that site and see a *description* of gemus.dat, but no actual file.

Eventually, I found a GEMUS.DAT file in the Source distribution of GameBase64. However, putting that in place doesn't help: GEMUS can't find any of my installed emulators - not even if I ask it to scan the exact folder where the emulator is installed. Some poking around inside GEMUS.DAT revealed the likely problem: I installed the latest version of CCS64 (v3.9.1), but the GEMUS.DAT file references CCS64 v3.3! Even if I wanted to use an older version of CCS64, I can't: v3.3 isn't available anywhere.

This is just crazy, and I don't understand it at all. I don't remember GameBase64 requiring this extraordinary amount of futzing just to get it to run an emulator. There isn't even a README.TXT to help with these issues.

Anyone have any hints? Thanks...
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Re: New GameBase install = totally borked

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 am

sfsdfd wrote:Had to do an excessive amount of fiddling to get files in the right places
You just have to copy all files to an empty folder, keeping the file estructure the same as in the archive(s)
sfsdfd wrote:and I really don't understand the purpose of having to run the GameBase Toolbox just to create a "new GameBase" (why doesn't the installer do this?!)
You don't have to! GBToolbox is only needed if you want to create a new, empty database.

You need to install the Gamebase frontend first by running gamebase-setup-v1.3-full.exe.
The you need to install the GB64_V11 database files by running gb64v11.exe.
You *must* install it to a subfolder of the GameBase frontend. After installing these 2 programs, you must have a file structure something like this:

Code: Select all

!
!_Gamebase
      GameBase.exe
   !_GBC_V11
        GBC_V11.mdb
This step is *very* important, probably you missed this step.
When you start the GameBase frontend, it will recognise the GB64 V11 database and start the GEMUS setup wizard automatically. Choose "Commodore 64" and point to a location that contains one or more supported emulators.
Supported emulators should be found and configured automatically for you.
Last step is pointing the frontend to the folders containing games, screenshots, extras etc. Click Tools, GBC_v11 Paths and browse to the top level folder of the Games, Screenshots, C64Music, Extras and Photos folder.
If you follow these steps, everything should work without problems.
sfsdfd
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:21 pm

Ah, looks like I missed the "you MUST install GB11 in a subdirectory of your GameBase directory." Once I fixed that, everything else fell right into place. Thanks for the help!

Return to “GB64 Help!”