Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Help me out here guys

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Isildur

Help me out here guys

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi!

I'm creating several gamebases for all my games and platforms (NES, Amiga, C64, Snes...and so on).
I just made my first one, the Atari Lynx one where i have 18 games, several screenshots and extras.
All works perfectly, but then i have a problem i can't find a solution to.
Before making more gamebases i want to make sure i will no problems in the future, so, what i did was uninstall the main program and re-install it, this way, if i need to transfer my gamebases to another computer or some bug forces me to re-install it, i wouldn't lose all the work i've done...the last thing i want is to have to start from scratch.
I've done so much already, even change the genres so now i can have point & click and FPS...

So, like i said i re-installed it, created a new Lynx gamebase, erased the mdb file and pasted my old one.
All my games and emulator appear, but i need to make new paths.
Is there a way to just import what i've done previously and having it be set like it was, with me not having to make new paths and stuff?
How do i backup my previous gamebase?

Thanks in advance!
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm

The systems you mentioned all have Gamebases already. Maybe you could install a premade one and just add your personal touches?

There is no reason though to create the Lynx Gamebase again. You can just copy the entire old folder back into the Gamebase folder if it was ever removed to begin with.

For backups, you can just make a copy of the individual systems folder (.zip , .rar or whatever) Then on a new system, you can just install the frontend, drop in the backed up files for the systems, and as long as the paths are still the same, everything should work.

While working on it, I would recommend frequent backups of at least the .mdb file.
Last edited by Hidron on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
Isildur

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks, for the reply

As for the systems having already gamebases made, i know they have, but honestly have no interest it those.
Simple reason, i don't want to have 1001 games when i'm only interested in 20.
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Well, unless space is a big concern, that is what Favorites is for (right click on a game name, Add to Favorites). Just add the 20 games to favorites, and you never have to look at the others if you don't want to.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just a lazy person.

Edit: Btw, the paths are stored in the emulators.ini & paths.ini file, so they could be copied back over to restore pathing information.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
Isildur

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Hidron wrote:Just add the 20 games to favorites, and you never have to look at the others if you don't want to.
Haven't thought of that :o :)
But space is actually a concern for the time being, so...

Return to “GB64 Help!”