Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

starting games in NTSC mode

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

bradhig

starting games in NTSC mode

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 am

I live in the US and want to know how to start games in NTSC without having to switch in the emulator.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:04 pm

You can set NTSC as default in the menu option 'Set Default GEMUS Script Fields' but I don't really see the point of doing so unless you want to test whether games work in NTSC mode or not.
Your PC doesn't care about NTSC and PAL...

/Michael
trebor

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Michael Plate wrote:You can set NTSC as default in the menu option 'Set Default GEMUS Script Fields' but I don't really see the point of doing so unless you want to test whether games work in NTSC mode or not.
Your PC doesn't care about NTSC and PAL...

/Michael
The "PC doesn't care" and the game will run - but the point of changing to NTSC is to prevent it from being slower than intended for NTSC users; including music and sound effects - they too will be played back at the slower 50Hz setting instead of 60Hz if an NTSC user is set to PAL.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:43 pm

I agree that this is needed for some game but still I don't see the point to set this as default.
The majority of the games is either designed or fixed for PAL machines so this should be the preferred choice for a default setting. The titles we have identified to be NTSC games have the related database field set accordingly and will automatically be loaded in NTSC mode no matter PAL is set as default.

/Michael
Brenry

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 pm

magazine and public domain games aside, the majority of commercial games from the 80s were geared towards 60hz speeds and resolution. it was an american computer company after all, and only a small handful of software publishers were based in uk.

the whole pal thing has been a bane of consoles as well. slow motion game play. megadrive ports are great examples of a system lacking "Blast Processing" power of the Genesis leaving sonic in slow-motion speeds.
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Brenry wrote:magazine and public domain games aside, the majority of commercial games from the 80s were geared towards 60hz speeds and resolution. it was an american computer company after all, and only a small handful of software publishers were based in uk.

the whole pal thing has been a bane of consoles as well. slow motion game play. megadrive ports are great examples of a system lacking "Blast Processing" power of the Genesis leaving sonic in slow-motion speeds.
It works the other way too - NTSC games are bugged or run at the wrong speed on PAL machines. And I would argue there were as many commercial and homebrew releases from Europe & Australia...
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 am

Yeah, I'd argue that there are just as many games in GB64 from PAL originating countries as the US...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Return to “GB64 Help!”