Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

SNES Gamebase

Discuss the SNES database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderators: Jimbo, daveee65

daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

SNES Gamebase

Sat May 08, 2004 7:52 am

I know there are already one or two of you out there developing a database for the Super Nintendo / Super Famicom, so you'll probably be interested to know I have been developing a SNES Gamebase for about a year myself and it currently contains 915 games, complete with screenshots, ratings, reviews & music! 8)

I should have mentioned it earlier I guess, but to be honest I've had a few problems with stability, since the database was written in Excel and translated to a Gamebase compatible Access file. :?
It's OK now though, I've had my kids testing it, so it must be bullet-proof!

I'll be releasing it very soon, I'm just waiting for my website to kick into life, so that I can upload - a few days that's all, I'll let you know.
arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

Excellent.

Sat May 08, 2004 10:32 am

Glad to hear the SNES will get its own Database.

JAMES (as in burrows) do you think as there are now a few projects ongoing it would make sense to create either a sticky, or a subforum for databases in development?
This way duplicate work can be avoided and if you wish to contribute to a specific database, the contact details and relevant postes etc can all be held in one area?

Just a thought.
Regards,
Arthur.
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

SNES Gameebase on-line!

Fri May 14, 2004 6:24 pm

Hi everyone,
After a week of sweat and tears with my domain host, SNES Gamebase is now on-line! :shock:

This first release of the database contains 904 games. Downloads for a full set of screenshots have also been included, with downloads for Extras to follow shortly. Call in and grab the lot at:-
http://www.snesgamebase.lostinconsoles.com

Before anyone asks, I will NOT be adding any Roms to my site, but I have given a hint, which is all you'll need.

This release is based on my own collection of games, so my plan is to improve the quality of game data further by adding game reviews, code lists and maybe box scans for the listed games. However, I know others have already been working on a SNES / SFC database, so if you have any of the above mentioned data, or would like your games to be added, just get in touch – I’d ideally like any new games to come with data fields completed as much possible, in a similar way to my own.

Otherwise, any comments and suggestions are welcome, my e-mail address is on the website.

Happy Downloading! :D
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat May 15, 2004 12:00 am

great work on the snes gb, i've just got it all up and running, there's just one thing that's got me stumped, how the hell did you get those screenshots of f1 roc 2 ????? i didn't think any emulator could run that game yet?
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

F1 Roc 2

Sat May 15, 2004 7:08 am

WOW SexyWayne, You know your roms! :wink:
It's true, F1 Roc 2 doesn't get past title screens with Zsnes, but is one of the few which runs slightly better on Snes9x. It doesn't run properly though, which is why I haven't been able to review it.

Sometimes in Snes9x, although the screen might flicker, you can still get a perfect picture if you press for a screenshot. But in this case, I have to admit 'borrowing' the screenshot from Cherryroms, so be honest I'm not quite sure how it was done.

Cheers,
Daveee
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat May 15, 2004 9:49 am

i remember playing it, way back, it's a excellent game, i'd love to play it again, hopefully it won't be long before they can emulate the chips, it took about 3 or 4 releases of zsnes before pilot wings was playable.

btw, what do you have to press for a screenshot in snes9x??
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Nice

Sat May 15, 2004 10:47 am

Just had a play with it , very nice indeed 8)

There is another emulator that will run SNES games - MESS ...though at the moment it's not great, though I think you should add it . I've just changed my C64 GEMUS script slightly, feel free to add it:-

Code: Select all

;********************************
;*  MESS SNES GEMUS Script      *
;*      (c) The GB64 Team       *
;*      15 May 2004             *
;********************************
;
; PLEASE SET YOUR EMULATOR PROPERTIES AS FOLLOWS:
;
; Emulator File:  MESS.EXE
; Associated File (1): MESS.INI
; Use Short Filenames: YES
; File Types: USE DEFAULTS
;
; The script was made for MESS 0.73 and it should work with later MESS versions with no problems
; You can download MESS from http://www.mess.org
;

Add_CLP( snes)

Add_CLP( -cartridge )

;Use the old UI as cheats will not work otherwise, the new UI also causes other problems
;Add_CLP( -nonewui )
;Enable Cheats
;Add_CLP( -cheat )
;Enable the Debugger {Mess Dev Use}
;Add_CLP( -debug )

;run the emulator
Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Snes9x PNG Screenshots & MESS

Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

SCREENSHOTS
In Snes9x you have to set up a freeze directory under Options -> Settings, then you use the backslash (\) key. It used to be the F9 key, I don't know why it was changed. I prefer to use Snes9x for screenshots, it automaticaly names them and saves them as PNG's.

Actually, while I'm on the subject, I've noticed a problem Gamebase has with PNG's. For some reason all the pics are there, but over a period of time the pictures appear blank in Gamebase :? , I don't know what causes it and my only fix is to open the file in any graphics package, then Save-As a new PNG. Anyone any idea of how we could implement a proper fix :?:

MESS
I know of MESS and have watched it develop for a number of years, but have preferred to work with more dedicated emulators, since as Pugsy says, MESS is a long way behind them. There's no harm in including it though, I'll have an experiment with it when I get a chance. Thanks for the script.
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat May 15, 2004 5:06 pm

just a little bug i've noticed, well it's actually not a bug, but with the euro version of street fighter 2 - the world warrior m. bison's and balrog's names are the wrong way round for some reason, it's like that on the original cart, so i think the usa version would be better

where did you get your euro version of final fantasy 5 from? the only clean versions i've got are japanese, i had to translation patch to get a english version
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Euro Game Versions

Sun May 16, 2004 11:18 pm

I've been collecting these roms for years, so In all honesty I have no Idea where I got FF5(Euro). Anyway, Forums often don't like the such tips mentioned so sorry but even it I knew, I'm kind of stuck with saying nowt! [Geordie twang]

Hmmm, interesting subject though, it's really worthy of discussion for newbies etc. :?
...but maybe not here, I think I'll add some kind of workingmens' interpretation of rom posession / ownership to my website sometime soon.

Getting back to FF5(Euro), my copy looks pretty much like the genuine thing; 'Logical translation no obvious Japanese from'. If you are still desperate for a copy, drop me a personal line & we'll work something out...
...we might even work out how I could get a hold of SF2(USA) :wink:

Keep on gaming!
Daveee
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun May 16, 2004 11:53 pm

you have mail, twice i'm afraid tho, damn outlook :x
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon May 17, 2004 9:57 am

thanks for the mail :D
Gu

Website

Wed May 19, 2004 4:52 am

Hi Davey,

Is it me, or is your website not showing correctly? Seems all the nav buttons and images are gone!
Tr
Trig

Wed May 19, 2004 7:16 am

Yeah, I get that too, and I really really want to get this! It sounds like a stunning bit of work.
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Website Nav Buttons Down

Wed May 19, 2004 7:18 am

OK, thanks for the tip-off, it must have happened last night. :roll:
I had this problem before I went public too, so there is a fix - I'll get on with it as soon as possible.

Thanks for setting up the forum for us Snes fans btw, I'll be happy to moderate.

Cheers,
Daveee

Return to “Nintendo SNES - GameBaseSNES”