Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Clrmame Romcenter Dats?

Discuss the Atari ST database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderators: Jimbo, Cord, Paul Thompson

Steffi

Clrmame Romcenter Dats?

Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:19 am

Hi,

are there any dat files for zx/st?
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:29 pm

Neither project is using dat files, they are being built from scratch :!:
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:43 am

It would make life easier if you provided a clrmame dat file so that people could just select the TOSEC images dirs and rebuild all the ST images from it into another directory just for use with GBST. In fact with single zips holding several .st files this would make life a lot easier...

And making a clrmame dat file is easy...

In clrmame click on the 'About' icon and then select the 'Dir2Dat' button.

You can download clrmame from www.clrmame.com
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
Steffi

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:13 am

hello,

can you make a clrmame datfile?
by the way, it exits for gambebase64 (v1.0) a datfile:
http://rommanager.emuxhaven.net/download.html#GoodTools

greetings stefan
Ollied

A partial TOSEC dat file is already being created

Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:48 pm

A TOSEC dat file is already partly created by the renamer C0llector on the TOSEC website.

Further details are available at http://www.tosec.info

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get this renamer involved in this project at such an early stage. This way, those of us with an existing collection of game images can just rename our existing collection without having to download them all again or manually rename the lot!

Ollie
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Re: A partial TOSEC dat file is already being created

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:43 pm

Ollied wrote:A TOSEC dat file is already partly created by the renamer C0llector on the TOSEC website.
You are missing the whole point though, the TOSEC collection is just a mass of crap interspersed with the good stuff. That plus the fact that all the images are zipped as single .st files. Gamebase requires them to be zipped as a batch so that if a game uses 5 disks all the disks are in the zip file. I'm afraid there's no way TOSEC are going to start zipping 5 disc images into one zip.

Ollied wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to get this renamer involved in this project at such an early stage. This way, those of us with an existing collection of game images can just rename our existing collection without having to download them all again or manually rename the lot!
You are giving the renamer(s) far too much credit...all they do is download/leech all the images and then name them according to their precious database naming convention...it's a long process I have no doubt but they don't delete the bad dumps or the versions with different high score saves or a modified anti-virus bootsector. It's convenient because people post the full collections but I had over a gig of st images before TOSEC started making the ST database, and unlike TOSEC most of my images worked. I've also dumped a fair few of the st images myself which have been subsequently 'raped' by TOSEC.

Till the day that TOSEC stop spreading known bad and alternate dumps/dupes (when good dumps exist) and delete them from their databases so that people don't collect them I'm afraid TOSEC will always be just a good idea that's been poorly implemented.

:idea: I could open a web page take several existing TOSEC renamed dumps change one byte in them and then post them on the web page.....a few months later they would appear in TOSEC as alternate dumps.
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:46 pm

I stand by what Pugsy has said in the previous post, and many thank to him for pointing out some facts about TOSEC. My intention was to use games derived entirely from the TOSEC collection but two facts have stopped me:

1) The absolutely ridicules naming conventions they use is a nightmare, and why list the same three D-Bug compilation disks (for example) because the bootsector is slightly different.

2) I found better versions of games spread around the internet. For example Thalion's website has better versions of it's games as you would expect.

I am very sorry if people are unhappy that they can't download a dat file, but the overriding principal of the GBST project is to find and use the very best versions of all ST games wherever they may be.
Gu

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:13 am

I was only actually interested in the zx version. I was an Amiga user myself!

Maybe it would be better if you constructed the renamer as you go or asked someone like 'Cowering' to get involved as he wrote the renamer for the gb64 collection under licence.

I am all for ensuring that I have the best dump that is available out there and don't get left with any crap, however at the moment it will be a case of waiting for the whole project to be completed and put together on a cd/dvd or posted on the internet as a complete download. Timescale? Erm yes!

This is such a good project and it would be a shame if we have to download all the files that we already have all over again or painfully rename each one manually.

Sorry for the moan! :?
Ollied

Sorry this was from me!

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:17 am

Sorry this was from me! I can't even log myself in....
ra
radman

dats

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:45 pm

I agree about the amount of crap in the tosec renamed sets - that's the whole point of having a dat for this project.

A dat from this project would weed out the best versions of the games and allow us to delete the useless stuff that we have all accumulated.

So please consider releasing a dat with each release.
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:07 pm

Yes like I said earlier a clrmame dat file for just the games in GBST would be great - GoodGB64 is in effect a clrmame dat file too. The dat file would be tiny and would help in the spread of the GBST collection and/or help people with a few gigs of st images already make most of the images from what they've already downloaded.
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:33 pm

OK, once we have a resonable number of games in the database then we will create clrmame dat, but i'm afraid it will do little good. This applies only to GBST for the following reasons:

1) All games in GBST have been renamed.

2) Many games are taken from compilation disks and placed on thier own disk to save disk space and make things easier for the end user. We are trying as far as possible not to have redundant games on disks!

3) Games will continue to be updated through the development of GBST. If we find a better version then we will use it, the same goes for music or anything else. Just because a game is in the database does not mean that's the end of it's life cycle!

4) The full version of GBST will be avialable through emule and kazaa, on top of that a new CD-Rom release will be avialable every 1000 games.
Ollied

Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:58 pm

Hi Paul

Does this go for GamebaseZX as well?

Ollie
Gu

Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:23 pm

Hi Ollied

No it does not apply to Gamebase ZX for the following reasons:

1) There is a massive central archive of Spectrum games, music files, boxscans, manuals, etc, on the internet. The games archived on this site are perfect TZX images of the games that were mainly released on cassette.

2) There is no need to modify the game images or even rename them. If you download a game from this site and it is listed in GBZX then it should work. The name of the site by the way is the World of Spectrum which is loacted at: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/

3) The game file in GBZX will not need replacing because it's perfect copy anyway, or so the theory goes! Trainers for the Spectrum do not exsist, instead it uses a system of pokes that can be input into a game when its running. These pokes are listed seperately and are not part of the game file which again means the original file remains intact.

4) Protection in Spectrum games was also very limited. Only in a few cases will GBZX be forced to use cracked versions of games, and even if it does the same game file will be avialable with WOS!
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:24 pm

Forgot to login once again :oops:

Return to “Atari ST - GameBaseST”