Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

C64 roms with several disks?

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

De
Demon Cleaner

C64 roms with several disks?

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:42 pm

I use GB64 for my C64 database. It works fine, and I use it with the WinVice emulator. I keep my roms zipped, takes less place.

Now the problem that I have, if I want to launch f.ex. Alter Ego, which has 6 disks in total, and I have to swap disks, it does not do it automatically, and as the roms are zipped I cannot attach it manually.

How do I tell the frontend to change disks?
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:40 pm

Just put all 6 disks into one zip file instead, and you attach the new one you want through Vice.

If that's how it is already, not sure what the problem is as that's how it is setup with our own files and it works fine.

(the frontend auto dearchives the disk(s) when launching)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Gu

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:03 pm

I have the 6 disks in only one zip file, so you mean that I put each disk file in one seperate zip. But I thought WinVICE does not support zipped files?

So normally the emulator should NOT ask for the second disk but play it automatically without prompting?

I have the gamebase v2.0 and with some games I get a CPU Jam, does this mean that the rom is corrupt?
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:52 pm

All disk files should be inside one zip file. When the frontend launches, it automatically (on a temp basis) dearchives the disk files from the zip, attaches the first one within Vice and launches the program.

If you click File -> Attach Disk in Vice, you should be able to select one of the other disk files to attach when you need to swop. The game will tell you to swop. You have to go do it yourself with the correct disk file it needs.

If you can't do this, then I'm not sure what is wrong.

You're right, Vice does not support zip files, which is why the GB64 frontend does the unzipping first before launch to a temp location (and Vice is pointed there to load the disks from).

As for CPU Jam messages, it usually either means the emulator you are using isn't compatible with the game in question (neither Vice or CCS are 100%) or you need to turn on True Drive Emulation for that game.

To turn on TDE for a particular game within GB64, press F2 in the frontend when you've selected the game in question (but before you launch it), and type TDE=yes before clicking okay.
Gu

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:03 pm

If you click File -> Attach Disk in Vice, you should be able to select one of the other disk files to attach when you need to swop.
That's exactly what it doesn't do. I start f.ex. California Games, which is CALIGAM0_01227_01.zip So when it asks to insert disk 2, I do an attach disk file, choose CALIGAM0_01227_01.zip and under image contents I can see the contents, but ONLY of disk 1, and not the other files. Impossible to get onto disk 2.
Demon Cleaner

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Ok, I just registered, that's easier.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:34 am

You are launching the games from the GB64 frontend right?

Just to see exactly where things are pointed to, I booted up California Games myself from within GB64. I click File -> Attach Disk Image -> Drive 8 and I am shown immediately a view in a directory called REZIP under a directory called GBGAME. This is the temp dir set up where the disk images are dearchived whilst playing them. From there I can see all the disk images for the game and can pick the one I want.

If this isn't what is happening for you, something is wrong in your setup. Perhaps you need to take some image grabs of the screen so you can show us what's going on.
Gu

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:50 am

and I am shown immediately a view in a directory called REZIP under a directory called GBGAME
That's what is not happining in my setup, I can't find the REZIP or GBGAME directories. Where should they be? Do you use WinVICE too or another emu?
I will try it at home with the new GB64 v3.0 collection, and if it's not working there either, I might have a problem.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:14 pm

GBGAME is off the root drive and is created automatically by the frontend. You HAVE installed Gamebase64 to your hard drive, along with the all the games? That might be a problem if you haven't now ;)

I use Vice mainly but also CCS where needed.
Gu

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:20 pm

You HAVE installed Gamebase64 to your hard drive, along with the all the games?
Yes. I installed the Gamebase64, and the frontend installed all the needed folders to my drive. But under my Gamebase folder is no GBGAME folder. Is it elsewhere, or where should it be, I can't locate it, even with a search over the root c:\

Afterwards I installed all the games, screens, extras... to the right folders.
Demon Cleaner

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:22 pm

As already said, I will try today or tomorrow with my new GB64 v3.0, perhaps it'll work then. But the frontend itself did not create me such folders, and I use v1.1
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:06 pm

GBGAME is off root eg. C:/GBGAME.

The frontend has this place as a temp area to dearchive the disks. If you have run games through the GB64 frontend and this directory does not exist, then something is not set up right.

This is the place I get defaulted to when selecting Attack Disk -> Drive 8 in Vice whilst playing a game launched in GB64.
Demon Cleaner

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:11 pm

All is fine now. I installed onto my PC at home and it made me a e:\gbgame folder to rezip. Now when I attach a file, it works fine. Thanks mate, don´t know what happened at work, but here it just works fine.

I installed a barebone system with 320GB full of emulation. I have full ROM sets of about 40 different emulations, where MAME and Amiga (and of course C64) are my favorites. I only use this PC for emulation.

I also use the X-Arcade dual stick to play the games, gives just a great feeling. And I must admit that GB64 is a great frontend too. Definetely worth installing.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:58 am

Your GEMUS script might have been altered, since you need at least:
Set_INI_Value(1||C64||InitialDiskDir||"%gamepath%")
Set_INI_Value(1||C64||InitialAutostartDir||"%gamepath%")
Set_INI_Value(1||C64||InitialDefaultDir||"%gamepath%")
Set_INI_Value(1||C64||FSDevice8Dir||"%gamepath%")
and your script file must be set to the correct vice.ini

This makes VICE go to the C:\GBGame folder by default when you try to attach the next disk. The new install uses the correct script, so now it works.
-J2010C-

Return to “GB64 Help!”