Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

What's the deal with WHDLoad? How to make it work - consistently?

Discuss the Commodore Amiga database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderator: Jimbo

C64Ever

What's the deal with WHDLoad? How to make it work - consistently?

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:18 pm

Guys, I'm missing something here. It was my understanding that the whole point of GameBase was to have sort of turnkey solution for running games. All the necessary settings and configs are transferred to respective emulator from the database of known working setups. You just have to chose the game and run it.

In case of GameBase Amiga, it's mostly so in case of adf files, and mostly is not if you want far more preferable WHD versions.

The most confusing thing is that the very SAME game, in the span of a minute, one attempt right after another, loads the first time, fails to load the second time with this sort of message:

DOS-Error 205 (object not found) on reading "xyz", where xyz varies depending on the game.

Some games like Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge never give trouble, some mostly do with random fails/successes, like Sensible World of Soccer 96-97, and some never load, like Mega lo Mania.

I understand WHD zips are being unpacked in temporary folder, which is in my case

C:\GameBase\GBGame\rezip

Upon exiting the emulator those temporary folders and files are being deleted and everything seems to be working there as expected, I guess.

So what's the deal here? The random aspect of load/no load in cases of games like SWOS 96-97 is maddening.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Re: What's the deal with WHDLoad? How to make it work - consistently?

Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:15 pm

WHDRun configures and loads the WHDLoad.

Run_Program(%dbpath%\whdrun.exe||%gamepathfile% %gbgamepath%\rezip\%gamefilenoext%/ "%emupath%\winuae.exe" "%dbpath%\scripts\WHDLoad.uae" "%dbpath%\WHD\s\user-startup||nowait)

For WHDLoads to work, your c:\gamebase\gamebase.ini file must be set like this.

[Paths]
GBGame=C:\GBGame\

*Please Note: this is NOT the Gamebase v1.3 default.
GBGame=C:\GBGame\0\

then WHDRun will run the whdload from here...
C:\GBGame\rezip\

If using another drive, use the root of your drive letter:
GBGame=K:\GBGame\

this will not work
GBGame=K:\emulator\gamebase\temp\
C64Ever

Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:30 pm

THIS IS IT! Thank you so much, now every single one WHD game works. This should be stickied or something, I installed and uninstalled GB Amiga 5-10 times, always fuming why doesn't it work as expected and never seen this piece of information.

Strangely, now it seems that some.adf games are broken, but I don't care that much. What happens is that WinUAE closes in a second or two after starting up. Maybe I just didn't notice that before. Maybe it's just that "unstable" aspect of .adf games I was reading about, thinking nothing could be more unstable than WHDLoad :)
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:35 pm

those notes are in my script.

normally i setup everthing to run from c:\gamebase\gamebasename\
things start to go wrong when it's moved to other folders or drives without editing script or ini files afterwards.

if you have the HD space and free time?
download this older version.
https://tinyurl.com/jc9pm9t
C64Ever

Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:16 pm

Coolski! Will do, much obliged :)

Return to “Commodore Amiga - GameBase Amiga”