Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

First DOS-Gamebase (Test)

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

joebucci
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am

I don't know brother, it seems you took a wrong turn somewhere. This is a Commodore Computer Forum.. We (at least "I") don't recommend "Bands" in here.

Got a Commodore PC related question or comment, and we'd (I'd) like to hear it!

Have a great day!

JB
Joe Bucci
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:52 am

Has there been any progress on this DOS-Gamebase? I have been working on my own personal version for the last year. It is such a daunting task that I have only managed to work up to the letter 'C' as far as game titles. That already puts me at over 1600 games and that still leaves a long long way to go. I wouldnt mind helping out with the project or even releasing an alternate version, but I just don't want to step on anyone elese toes in the process.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:41 pm

my current version has 3599 games linked A-Z.
using the DOS Collection v0.8.

but this needs a lot of work installing games and re-packing them.
but the main core of the gamebase works fine.

I will upload it sometime in the new year.
and you can have a look, and see if you want to help improve it.

but feel free to carry on and release your own version.
The more gamebases released, the better for everyone.
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:56 pm

That sounds great. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product. The most time consuming part for me was getting all of these games to work.

When I started, I knew very little about Gamebase. So I read, read, and read some more here in these forums. I still wasnt ready to tackle a script, so I cheated a little by using .bat files for each game. If only I knew then what I do now about GEMUS, I would have done it a little differently. In any case, I has progressed to far and didnt want to scrap the work I had already put in, so I pushed forward.

Maybe I'll release it later for a bit of a chuckle...
Hooded_Claw

Exodos

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Folks have a look at Exodos on Underground Gamer for a good solid DOS Gamebase collection
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 pm

eXo is doing compilations dedicated types, like:
eXoDOS vol.1 - Adventure Collection v1.5
eXoDOS vol.2 - RPG Collection v1.1
eXoDOS vol.3 - Strategy Collection

we are talking about THE CLASSICS, like Prince of Persia, Digger, Raptor, Doom, Quake and so on...

nothing against You, of course
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
Hooded_Claw

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:22 pm

No probs dax - the different volumes merge into one big collection - where over time the fps and platform classics you mention will be included in a further volume. Its not Gamebase I know but its the most complete collection with frontend for DOS I've seen so far. Might not be to everyone's taste though - just thought I'd pass it on incase no-one had heard of it.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Hooded_Claw wrote:No probs dax - the different volumes merge into one big collection - where over time the fps and platform classics you mention will be included in a further volume.
yeah, waiting for his FPP and RTS collection
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 pm

I think the RTS games are part of the strategy collection.

It's a very nice collection, and worthwhile to any collector looking to play some of those DOS oldies. However, I think he uses MEAGRE as a front end, and although there are a lot of similarities between it andGameBase... this is a GameBase forum, so it would be nice if someone would make a GameBase for DOS, or convert the EXO collection to work with GameBase.

After all, I think we all would agree that it would be a lot nicer to just have 1 big assortment of Gamebase databases, to access from the frontend, rather than several different front ends that you have to start up seperately.

Just my opinion.
Nekto

Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:48 pm

dax wrote:waiting for his FPP and RTS collection
Covering all genres, ExoDOS has 5 parts: Adventure, RPG, Strategy, Simulation, Action. The current version is 2.0 and the author said he's planning the next version in 2015.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”