Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Atari 8 Bit Gamebase

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Neo-Rio wrote:
Paul Irvine wrote: Comes across as "it's my ball and I won't let you play with it".
Exactly.

Whether he's right or wrong about this, well --- nobody is going to care now, because of the attitude we all copped.

Once people "spit their dummy" and delve into personal attacks, people just switch off, and once people switch off, and you can be right, factually and logically correct and everything -- but no-one will bother to listen.

A shame really
It is.....But self generated...
-------
Loved ones are never gone as long as you remember them....
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:30 pm

yeah i got a rough idea how long it took gb64 to be released, i remember downloading the blast collection from arnold many years ago to use with the original gamebase64 v1.0 to 1.3

i've also contributed to the gb64 project with a few things: the original disk images of space rogue, disk images of tmnt the arcade game, original tap images etc...

like i said in my previous post i've made my own gamebases, and have many in various unfinished states, but are unfinished because i'm a stickler for details, instead of just adding the game i like the rom/disk images to be named properly, coverscans, cart scans and any other details i can, so i guess you can say i am very well aware of the time and effort that goes into making a complete gamebase, hell it took me 3 years to create a full sega megadrive gamebase, but i don't view it as completely finished as i'm always adding coverscans, docs, adverts and stuff to it when the mood strikes me, maybe someday i'll be satisfied enough with it :lol:

maybe instead of releasing unfinished atari 800 gamebases, release a good quality gb800 with 100 or so all time great games, then add to it later, instead of having a gb with over 1000 games then cleaning up later, i'd rather add one game at a time with scans etc than have to sift through 1000's of games tidying up, this is just my opinion tho and you're welcome to tell me to f**k off :P
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:47 pm

Paul Irvine wrote:I salute all the GB makers, it's a darn sight more work than people realise. See how far down the line you can get for entering all the fields out of 4000+ games before you start to HATE it :)
GB20 currently has just over 1,400 entries... and I'm doing the current version by myself. Mmmm fun...! :wink: :lol:

Personally I can see both sides of the coin here. There's a great volume of information about C64 cartridges on my site that is open for people to use. Some people have asked to use images or dumps from there for various reasons. Others have just taken them and not asked or even credited me for doing the work (I know this because I've spotted telltale signs in some of the files in question). Generally I prefer the former... unless it's something obviously illegal (like selling them) I will usually say yes, but it's nice to be contacted and asked for use.

v0.1 of GB20 was a mess, it sounds like it was in the same state the 800 version is here. A lot of games but very little information. I've filled out everything I can find along the way for all the games, added more than 300 myself (many bought from my own pocket), asked people to try and fix all the games I've found to be faulty (yes, I've play tested every single one) and made a ton of scans of boxes, inlays and instructions. v0.2 is going to rock (I hope) once it is out there, but I do expect any thanks? Well, some back from people would be nice...

I can see Atarimania's frustration in a way, here's a database that is just sorely lacking in information and yet most of it is available out there to be added if someone was to spend the time doing it. That's partly why I took the GB20 project on, because I'm a fussy, perfectionist bastard who likes to see things done correctly :twisted:

If I was doing the 800 version I would ask for use on the images from the site out of politeness. I'd hope the answer would be yes. To be fair if the answer was no I'd probably take them anyways :twisted: :lol:

I'd do all the screenshots myself though... it's part way to ensure that the game works because you're the one actually playing it. Mind you I've found a few games for the Vic20 that work fine in Vice but refuse to boot in Gamebase. Most peculiar, trying to figure that one out (and it's nothing to do with the GEMUS script either).

A lot of the filenames are all over the place still because of what I inherited. I've worked around it. First thing I'm doing when starting on v0.3 will be renaming everything properly and fully in all categories (games, images, screenshots etc). Oh joyous wonder :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Patch61

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Ok, let's all please stop the personal attacks, digs, etc. It isn't serving the Atari community at all.

First, I apologize if I offended anybody. I intended only to discuss a few points, not to tick anybody off.

That being said, what we ALL would really like is a high quality Atari 800 Gamebase. Why don't we take what is already done and simply add to it? Does it all have to be 'high quality' from scratch to satisfy everybody? Can't it be built and improved from where it's at?

Hmmm... how about some kind of 'live' GB800 that updates from atarimania.com (and maybe other quality sources) as needed and gives prominent credit to the site's authors as it does so? Would this be feasible? Desirable? Just a thought, but it would be cool if we could pull it off.

-Patch
Neo-Rio
GB64 Team

Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:57 am

Patch61 wrote: That being said, what we ALL would really like is a high quality Atari 800 Gamebase. Why don't we take what is already done and simply add to it? Does it all have to be 'high quality' from scratch to satisfy everybody? Can't it be built and improved from where it's at?
Totally agree... which is why I couldn't understand the hissy-fit.

Still, probably should have asked permission for the scans.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Neo-Rio wrote:
Patch61 wrote: That being said, what we ALL would really like is a high quality Atari 800 Gamebase. Why don't we take what is already done and simply add to it? Does it all have to be 'high quality' from scratch to satisfy everybody? Can't it be built and improved from where it's at?
Totally agree... which is why I couldn't understand the hissy-fit.

Still, probably should have asked permission for the scans.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Yes, he should have asked BUT he would have been turned down anyway.

Reasoning, database not up to Atarimania high standards and person doing the database not 'Atari enough'. Slightly disappointing viewpoint in my estimation.

My look out is this, how many people who are suitably minded and have the data needed have written a database out of all us really dedicated Atarians...Answer NONE.

In all this time there's not been a single go, it's not a bad thing it just never happened until Mike took up the challenge and I applaud him for it.

The details will come in time...For some, that is back to front but it's better than no DB at all.
-------
Patch61

Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:31 am

Paul Irvine wrote:The details will come in time...For some, that is back to front but it's better than no DB at all.
Here! Here! I couldn't agree more.

So, I am asking very nicely...

Atari-Frog, may we PLEASE have your blessing to use aome of the atari game related items from your site to improve the quality of GB800 (with appropriate kudos to you and your site, of course)?

-Patch
suverman

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:52 pm

i kinda agree with atarimania... even though i love gamebase, i just think that the amount of time that froggie has put in should not be taken for granted. we might never have had such a collection but for hiim. so be a little nice to him. no one is talking abt copyright. its about the existance of the collection of images etc which came into the cYBER woRld due to frog.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 am

Version 5 of the Gamebase is here containing 5000 records

here are the links:-

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w3640x

for the main database

http://www.sendspace.com/file/td546r

for the extras pt1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qo49bu

For extras PT2
Last edited by hardmanm on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamebase Developer
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:07 am

i am getting this now, before all hell breaks loose. :D

Glad to see you wern't put off maintaining the GameBase.
Excellent work as always.
8)
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:08 pm

.mad. wrote:i am getting this now, before all hell breaks loose. :D

Glad to see you wern't put off maintaining the GameBase.
Excellent work as always.
8)
Yep, mega thanks for the update...

All hell won't break loose as he's done nothing wrong as far as I can see.
-------
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:04 am

Just had a quick look (downloads are slow from that place) and it's a superb update. Thanks for the sterling hard work on the DB.

Only one thing, says its missing an advert from the extra's (2369 Quasimodo) but there isn't an advert folder or a jpg to match it in the db?

Cheers and thanks again!!!
-------
Crosis

Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 am

Version 5, Thanks!! keep up the great work!!!
jokerandi

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:37 am

[... hell it took me 3 years to create a full sega megadrive gamebase, but i don't view it as completely finished as i'm always adding coverscans, docs, adverts and stuff to it when the mood strikes me, maybe someday i'll be satisfied enough with it :lol: ]

Hey, sounds great. When can we expect the megadrive Gamebase? :-) I hope You´ll publish it
:D
SexyWayne
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 pm

jokerandi wrote:[... hell it took me 3 years to create a full sega megadrive gamebase, but i don't view it as completely finished as i'm always adding coverscans, docs, adverts and stuff to it when the mood strikes me, maybe someday i'll be satisfied enough with it :lol: ]

Hey, sounds great. When can we expect the megadrive Gamebase? :-) I hope You´ll publish it
:D
i've uploaded the gb to rapidshare, check the megadrive thread for links :D

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”